Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cosmo 101

Hey! Sorry I didn’t post yesterday. I said to myself, I said, “Self you gotta remember to post on the blog!” But then I started watching the finals for Olympics ice dancing. And they just got so exciting and I got so wrapped up in them that before I knew it, it was midnight and I hadn’t done any work! But I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to write about. In my class right now we are mainly doing a lot of calculations concerning the alterations one needs to make in order to compensate for the presence of a massive body such as a black hole. But I doubt these calculations are very interesting and in my opinion say very little about the concepts behind general relativity. So instead I think I’ll talk about the philosophical implications (and the implications to physics as a whole) of general relativity for a couple of entries. So let’s see, now we’ve done away with gravity and replaced it with a structural change in spacetime. What we’ve essential done is replaced gravity as one of the four fundamental forces. Now all we have left is magnetism /electricity, the weak force and the strong force. We have done away with gravity as a force and we have messed with time and space. They have become distorted. If we were to take a look out from out distorted place in the universe what do we see. We see things through a circus mirror. To me it feel like we have to question the way we see everything! It changes the whole playing field.

No comments:

Post a Comment