Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back in Black!

Wow. So my little world counter up there in the right corner has exploded with little red dots, so I think it might be beneficial for me to start this thing up again! Since I left the blog I've been hard at work trying to unravel the secrets of the universe. I've spent most of this summer teaching myself differential geometry. (The study of diff geo actually starts in kindergarten. Basically it's all about shapes, but the formal version is more concerned with their equations rather than their names.) And I have made a sincere effort to teach myself general relativity as well, but that hasn't gone so well, mainly because every time I start to read it all I want to do is throw the book across the room! General relativity (GR) is about the least formal, least elegant physical theory I have ever laid eyes on! I like the concepts: mass bending space, acceleration and gravity being the same thing, light bending, black holes and all that good stuff; but the math is positively atrocious! After reading all the formalized elegant diff geo it just makes me want to go throw up. Honestly I feel like GR needs to be redone! Now a question for you: has anyone ever tried to reformulate GR into a more mathematically elegant setup? If not I'm very tempted to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment