Friday, November 13, 2009

Random aside

I have a question. This is posed at the young people. Do you still have deep intellectual discussions, in your colleges and things I mean? Like where you talk for hours about the nature of the universe and philosophy and society and you share your ideas. Do you still do that? I visited a college campus recently and talked with some of the students. They seemed very concerned with their grades and where they were going to go after school. Maybe I just don't know them very well and perhaps you just talk more in private. But does that still happen? The modern society seems to be obsessed with progress and achievement. When did that happen? And why? Is there a way to fix it?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I am in high school (15 years old) and occasionally have long semi-philosophical conversations about religion (which I find fascinating all thought I am an atheist) with some of my more religious friends. The meaning of life (which I consider to be a bull-shit idea) is a subject that we hardly ever breach, but perhaps that is only because I am not a very open person. At this age, most people who talk about philosophical ideas really have no idea what they are talking about except that they would like to sound "deep". Also, most teens who ponder the meaning of life fall into the category fondly known as "emo". I apologize for the prejudiced generalization, but it is a truth that cannot be denied when I spend six hours a day with other teenagers.

    ReplyDelete