Saturday, January 30, 2010

General Relativity

Ok so I’m getting the general sense that I’m in over my head, with this stuff. But I have terrific news! I’ve been enrolled in a cosmology class! Imagine me an old man in a class with a bunch of young college students. But I hope to learn so much! And I shall report it all to you. But I think I need to finish up this discussion of time and metrics first. So when Minkowski came up with his space time, Einstein had a new setting for trying to figure out gravity. So what he decided (and it took him quite some time to figure it out too) he decided that gravity warped space, it sort of bends the metric. Where there was a straight line now that line has been bent by the object that has been placed there. Just like in the picture. This is what creates gravity. This is why we feel pulled towards the sun. We aren’t actually pulled towards the sun we are falling into it. And that is the basis of general relativity.

1 comment:

  1. Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, awsome post Im sure you didnt expect me to read or comment on your post but here I am HA HA! so great post keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete