Friday, January 29, 2010

Metrics 2

So the first spacetime I would like to talk about is the Minkowski spacetime. It was first invented by the German mathematician Hermann Minkowski soon after Einstein came out with special relativity. Minkowski came up with it to supplement Einstein’s theory. It’s a 4D space consisting of 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimensions. A lot of rules that we are used to in 3D space apply but there are some differences. And they are very important differences. But the problem is that these difference only make sense if you know a good deal of linear algebra and differential equations and in all honesty I don’t understand all of it. So I’m not really sure who to proceed from here. I guess to make it very simple when you take a 4D vector in Minkowski space and multiply or add it to another one it doesn’t work the same way as another sort of space. It sorta has magic math. I know, that sounded stupid. Oh well. I guess that’s all I can say…like I said I don’t really understand it either so, yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment