Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Time 1

Hey! I’m not dead (yet). But like I said our internet got messed up and then we had more snow and it got even more messed up. But this time it took a while to fix it. Yes, I could have gone to the library, but hey what can I say, I’m old. Anyway my posting should be regular again. And I think I’ve found a new topic. That tangent I went on during the Randall series got me thinking about time again. It’s always been something I’d hoped to study so I checked out a book about it. It’s a book called “Faster” by James Gleick. It was in with the other science books but from what I’ve read there’s a lot besides science in it. For example in the first chapter he records his visit to the Directorate of Time. Yes, there is such a place and it’s part of the United States Government under the Department of Defense. They make time. Well, I should say they set it. They, along with the time input from other nations set the global time. They have this system of atomic clocks (don’t they have those in watches now?), and they consult each other and form a consensus and send that time to the global time … place, just outside of pairs, and then the input from other places comes in and they form a consensus and that’s the time. It’s amazingly arbitrary.

No comments:

Post a Comment