Friday, January 15, 2010

Time 3

Why do I know this? Well, believe it or not I’ve worked on a physics experiment before, not cosmology but still. It was a particle physics experiment. And I chiefly worked on electronics. But we had a problem (well we had a lot of problems but this was a big one). The timing was off. We were trying to synchronize the computer and the electronics, but they were off by a couple of milliseconds. We can’t (at least I can) imagine what a millisecond feels like. But it was a big problem. We were getting different amounts of data in different sets. This threw the whole experiment off. And it was just a matter of milliseconds. That is way all this crazy timing stuff in important, it’s really important. And I know for a fact that there are other experiments where the timing counts even more and even smaller. Nanoseconds matter, they really do!

No comments:

Post a Comment