Sunday, January 24, 2010

Time 8

Wow. Yesterday’s post was really long wasn’t it? Sorry. Anyway so hopefully today we can start getting at some of the detail’s of time and in particular the physical approach used by most physicist today with regard to time. In other words, spacetime. Ok first some vocabulary. A worldline is a path or line type thing in 4-D space that specifies the path of an object. I’ve included a picture that is much like the one from yesterday but has a worldline mapped out on it, the one of your hoverboard perhaps. If it is a ‘straight’ line, unlike the one in the picture, it is sometimes called a geodesic. And now for the units physicists use when talking about spacetime. Oh…wait…I don’t think I really understand these. I know we express velocities as a percentage of the speed of light. But even that doesn’t really make sense. But you know what I think I’ll be visiting one of my professor friends tomorrow and I’ll ask about that and report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment