Thursday, October 8, 2009

but wait! part 2

One of the other most interesting problems with the big bang theory is entitled the flatness problem. Again this is one that I really don’t understand. The way I understand it is that there are these parameters that set the universe into motion. For an analogy let’s pretend the universe is a washing machine, and you are God. You put some clothes in (the energy that the big bang created) and turn the dial to some initial settings. Then you push the “go” button. (I love washing machines. They are an incredible invention! Oh and I adore dish washers. They get those dishes so clean!) But the settings on the universal pre-set dial are rather delicate. If you set the spin cycle to fast the universe would curve back on itself and if you set the spin cycle too slow it will become a circle. But if you set the spin cycle just right you get a flat universe. This setting on the spin cycle corresponds to a parameter called omega and I’m pretty sure it represents an energy density. But the value of omega has to be exactly 1, exactly. EXACTLY. No deviations. This is a bit odd. But I’m not sure why…or why this is important. I think I should read up on this a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment