Monday, October 5, 2009

The Big Bang

From there the rest is sort of history, at least rather more famous history. In 1964 the cosmic microwave background radiation was discovered by Arno Penzias and Robert Woodrow Wilson in a very old radio antae/horn thing. If you would like more details on that there is a very excellent documentary that I can’t recall the name of at the moment. Most likely it will come to me in the middle of the night in a flash of epiphany and I won’t be able to remember it when I wake up. But in the mean time I think I shall skip to the present, and give you my version of the big bang theory as I understand it. I may pick back up the more historical background later. But here is where I really want some correction. I probably don’t have a very accurate picture of the big bang. But here’s what I’ve got: So 15 or so billion years ago the universe had just exploded into existence. We don’t know what happened before the explosion or what caused it or what happened just after the explosion. But something exploded to create space, time and energy. This energy was very dense and…well, energetic. And as the energy spread out, it got less dense and…less energetic? I think. But anyway, it cooled off enough to form photons which were released, and this is what we see as the cosmic microwave background radiation. Then things cooled off more and began to clump into matter. This formed the particles we have today…aaaannnnndddd it went from there into the universe we see today. I think I will stop for here today. Perhaps I shall flesh out the details one by one at some later point.

No comments:

Post a Comment