Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Inflation 6

So where were we with the inflation thing? Oh yes, so I in the last entry I explained how inflations fixes the horizon problem. And now we have an explanation for why it fixes the monopole problem. Oh I should explain where I am getting my information from, shouldn’t I? Well, right now, on inflation, I’m mainly pulling from two sources, the Wikipedia article on inflation, and a text book on cosmology by some guy named Edward Harrison. But anyway, back to the monopole problem. So, apparently, according to Edward, the monopoles do exist they are just really rare and hard to find. In fact, there should be about one of them or less per galaxy! But the way inflation fixes the problem is not settling well with me. I think I need to more fully understand the math associated with it, but here’s what I got so far. Ok so we have a bit super cooled vacuum right before inflation. And there are a lot of monopoles. A LOT of monopoles. But then inflation starts and the universe expands really fast and it shoots these monopoles really far apart. So they are a lot more dilute then they were. That’s about it. Yeah…it is still very unsettling to me that this would be the answer. If there were a lot of them then there would still be a lot of them they would just be spread out. I don’t get it. But if any of you do please enlighten us! Or even if you don’t understand please comment, just to say hi! Please! I’m begging you! PLEASE COMMENT!

No comments:

Post a Comment