Monday, October 26, 2009

Inflation 8 / WHAAAAAAA?!

STOP THE PRESSES! Hold the phone! Take a step back! Ya know that whole thing about nothing going faster than the speed of light, yeah, well that’s not quite true! I know, crazy! Psycho! I’m in shock. But it turns out that space can exceed the speed of light. (For those of you who have no idea what is going on, general relativity states that nothing goes faster than the speed of light, and this is a very widely known and accepted principle, so that’s why I’m freaking out). General relativity dictates what goes on within space-time but it turns out it doesn’t dictate the expansion of space itself. So ya know how I was asking about why the horizon problem is solved by inflation well this is exactly why! Its cause space expanded outside our horizon (which is caused by light) and then it is slowly been coming back into our view (if we neglect the expansion of the universe, we’ll get to this later). Was this common knowledge? Did other people know this! Was I left alone in the dark on this (yes that was a stupid pun). I’m still in shock over this.

No comments:

Post a Comment